Click here for a PDF version of this Router Bit Guidelines.
Fundamental guidelines for using Linbide router bits
The Linbide router bits in this program are intended for a particular operation. Please read the catalogue carefully.
- Always pay particular attention to the quality of the cutter edge. Dull or incorrectly sharpened bits increase the feed pressure; resulting in broken cutter shanks.
- Worn, distorted, loose or dirty collets and blunt cutters cause 85% of shank failures. Galling on the router bit shanks indicate this problem. The remedy is to replace the collet.
- It is good practice to replace the router machine’s bearings and carbon brushes frequently.
- Always ensure that the shank is inserted a minimum of 20mm into the collet.
- Ball bearing guides should be cleaned in a solvent (e.g. kerosene) after use and then dipped in a light oil.
- The router should be fed in the opposite direction to the direction in which the cutter is rotating.
- Do not overload cutters by trying to remove too much material in one pass (i.e. rough and finish). This will preserve your router motor and ensure a better finish to the job. A general guideline is that on one pass the depth of cut should not exceed the diameter of the cutter. Special care should be taken when using 6.4mm (1/4 “) shanks.
- Speed recommendations for general router bit cutting of softwood, hardwood, medium density board and particle board:
3mm to 25mm Cutter Diameter 24,000 R.P.M.
25mm to 35mm Cutter Diameter 18,000 R.P.M.
38mm to 50mm Cutter Diameter 15,000 R.P.M.
Over 50mm Cutter Diameter 12,000 R.P.M
- Variable speed routers are recommended.
- Always use 12.7mm (1/2 “) shank Cutters when possible.
- Larger diameter cutters (38mm or greater) or complex shapes should preferably be used in fixed machinery to ensure safe operation.
- The shanks of new cutters must be cleaned with a solvent (e.g. mineral turps) to remove the preservative coating to ensure an accurate location into the collet.
Please note that the sizes of the forms stated in the catalogue or website are rounded to the closest common denominator.
We reserve the right to alter or modify our technical specifications without prior notice.